Friday, May 14, 2010

Getting on with it...




Would it be cliche to say that I have been doing so much lately that I haven't been able to write about it? Well, I am here now, ready to regale you with my goings on!

The past month has been so much fun! Even though the weather has recently turned sour (rain, gray skies...) there was a two-week period where we saw sun and warm weather! So it was nice to have some real outdoor friendly weather in the city. Some highlights include visiting the nearby botanic garden, having a picnic in the Oosterpark and going to a great local brewery which is housed in an old windmill and has a patio on the IJ channel.

Amsterdam in the Spring can be a magical place, everywhere there seems to be something flowering or growing. Tulips pop up in every park and in every planter. The city grows. Tourists flood into the city, spilling over into the bike lanes and tram cars. Somehow the city keeps running smoothly.

Even the hardworking Dutch occasionally strike and for the past two weeks there has been no sanitation department activity. Its supposed to end tonight. I hope so, my trash day is tomorrow.

Above all, there has been three major highlights in my last few weeks: a group trip to Schiermonnikoog (pronounced: ski-er-moan-ee-koh), Koninginnedag (eh, not worth the pronunciation, just call it Queen's Day) and a trip to Edinburgh. I know, Dutch is an insane language and thank god we speak English (it was this close to being Dutch...).

Schiermonnikoog is an usland in the way north of The Netherlands in Friesland province. It is one of a string of islands that form a chain between the North Sea and the Wadden Sea. The difference between the currents of the two seas has made Schiermonnikoog an important ecological site and the entire island (including the village/beach town) is a National Park.

The trip was organized by my abroad organization, CIEE, and was great as usual. Very well planned, fun, and not too strict.

One of the unique features of the Island that results from the weird current patterns is that when the tide goes out, much of seabed is revealed as a murky, muddy well mudflat. not only can you hike it, it is even possibly to walk across the sea shore to the mainland. We did get that far. But we did go waddenlopen as its called. Our guide taught us all about the ecological heritage of the mudflats and we even caught some
Oysters and Mussels that we later cooked!


Later that day, we got the opportunity to explore the island on our own. I set out to circumnavigate the island by bike. I even managed to recruit a couple friends to join me on my journey around the island. We made a few stops to enjoy the nature (a quick walk around the km-wide beach, a short stop at the dunes). It was a lot of fun, and there was a lot to see.

By the time we made it back, we were exhausted. Luckily, there was not much to do besides dinner. After dinner we all went out, including our program directors. The next day followed a similar pattern, lots of outdoor activity and even a campfire on the beach at night.

April 30th is the official celebration of the Queen's Birthday (Koninginnedag). The entire country is on holiday and there are massive street parties in every city in the nation. By far, the largest one is in Amsterdam. It is estimated that around 700,000 people came into the city for the celebrations, roughly doubling the population. On Koninginnegad, anyone is allowed to sell things in the street, the entire country has a vrijmarket (free market). That means loads of stree vendors, food, and all sorts of other goodies.

On Koninginnedag, it is customary to deck oneself out in Organge and spend the entire day partying with friends. The Dutch know how to have a holiday. In fact, because they have the next day off, the Dutch have turned the night before Queens Day, other wise known as Koninginnenacht into a party in its own right. There were free concerts held all over the city.

In the Dam, there was a huge carnival going on which included a large Ferris wheel. The pictures are evidence of the awesome views provided by the ride.

I have been having so much in the past few weeks that the time has just been flying by! I cannot believe that I am leaving here in less that three weeks! I am excited to be home again and see everyone but really sad about leaving Amsterdam. The fickle thing about abroad is that you can never recreate the experience. No matter how often I come back to Amsterdam, I will never have the same experience because abroad is so much about the people you meet and spend time with. I have made great friendships with people from all over the world, some of them I will probably never see again.

I hope to write again soon about my trip last weekend to Edinburgh. But, you will have to forgive me if I choose to spend my last few days in Amsterdam and not in front of a screen. Tot ziens!

1 comment:

  1. oh my god you went to edinburgh?! that is like, the best city. i want to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete